FOGR Game at Totton Club, Samurai vs Ming Chinese.

The other weekend I was able to enjoy a game with Brendan and Paul.i played my samuari and they borrowed a Ming Chinese. We played 900pts and they won initiative. They chose mountains, so I picked 2x impassables and a steep hil. The thinking it would provide something to anchor on and limited their options to out flank me with an expected bigger size army.

Terrian was rolled for and I ended with most of it. On centre area flanks, 2x steep hills screening artillery nicely. The impassables went down in my right flank, protecting the baggage camp. The Ming had a large plantation on their right and a steep hill on the other flank. The centre was filled with fortications.

I decided to walk upto that in a broad front would be silly and obvious. So my plan was to put half of my army at each end of his battle line and try to punch through the corners. This was justified with their first deployment including 4x artillery straight down the centre between the steep hills. I deployed in two “french columns” out of arc and proceeded to rush my mounted samurai around the flanks. While moving the foot out to the extreme flanks. I brought the full 24 bases of armoured archers. Which proved invaluable. 

I was fortunate with having first move being able to block in the Ming cavalry arm against the plantation and the flank edge. On my left flank I moved my other Samurai cavalry round to the Ming back edge to force units out of place. Their centre remained static. After 2hrs of manovering I was in position to launch foot at his flanks. The attack went in on my right and was able to punch through , just as time was called. On my left, the  Ming where fighting in their back 6″ with samuari and Ashigaru bowmen having a ago.

It was an enjoyable game ending in a slight victory for the samurai. Although if scored, due to the Ming size it would have worked out a 10-10.

Advertisements

First Kaizoku Unit painted

First Kaizoku pirate unit finished. Experimented with painting bamboo spears and non historical bamboo bows. I think it gives a nice contrast. The unit is 8 bases of average warriors all with swordsmen. The front rank counted impact foot and the rear rank have bow. I have used a mixture of three box sets and also mixed up the parts from different models to create an irregular look.

Murakami Kaizoku Pirate raiding force

An interesting list, not very competative, but represents a Murakami Kaizoku Pirate raiding force. (695pts)

Very weak versus mounted and “proper” samurai , but would be a fast hitting battle line versus pike and shot.

Armoured Ashigaru spear and the unit of Impact foot are there to provide rear support. Samurai, hatamoto and armoured bowmen for countering mounted. Impact foot allies for attacking the main line.

The whole list can comfortably fill the board width and still have reserves.

OOM Generals (1xGC, 1xTC, 1x woko FC) 3. 155
1 Average armd spear 6 30
2 Average armd spear 6 30
3 Average armd bow 8 48
4 Samurai heavy armd spear 8 72
5 Samurai heavy armd spear 8 72
6 Hatamoto spear 4 48
7 (w1) average, IF/Sw 8 48
8 (w1) average, IF/Sw/Bow,Sw 8 48
9 (w1) average, IF/Sw/Bow,Sw 8 48
10 (w1) average, IF/Sw/Bow/Sw 8 48
11 (w1) average, IF/Sw/Bow/Sw 8 48

First samurai unit done…. Awaiting final basing…

So, finally finished first unit of 8x superior, heavy armoured , spearmen. Going to do final basing at the end. Been trying out quickshade and dry brushing… Quickshade actually does seem to work better than floor stain I’ve used in the pass…. Again gloss varnished the armour to give a lacquer effect… Not sure how it’s coming out… May decide to over spray Matt… Figures are looking a bit like zombies 🙂

IMG_0758